The festive season has arrived, crime has shown various trends over the year, but the festive season almost always bring with it a rise in certain crimes. It is the time when the criminals want to do a little “Christmas Shopping” for themselves.
Consider the following safety tips over the festive season:
1. Get to know all the neighbours around you: It is important to know when people are coming or going and if they are perhaps going on holiday. This will make it a lot easier to spot suspicious people and/or movement in your neighbourhood.
2. Don’t advertise what you got for Christmas: There will be gift giving, which inevitably leads to packaging that ends up in the bins. These boxes give an indication to the criminal element out there of what is inside your house. Try and find some other way to get rid of these boxes.
3. Vary your movement patterns: Don’t fall into too obvious routines. Vary the times when you leave home, and try never to create the impression that “no one is home”. This is where point number one comes into play again.
4. Make sure all your security measures are working: Test your alarm regularly, ensure that we have your latest details, and please let us know if you have any special holiday instructions.
5. Ensure the perimeter of your house is protected: Make sure that there are no weak spots in your fence and/or boundary wall. Check your roof to ensure that there are no easy access points.
When you are driving long distance this holiday, please make sure your car has been serviced and safety checked, buckle up, rest frequently during your trip, and most of all, enjoy your break and come back safely.