I have taken this recipe from an old Lynn Bedford Hall recipe book I still use often. This dish looks wonderful and if you are having visitors, you can prepare it ahead and just add whipped egg whites before putting in the oven. I sometimes mix it up with broccoli.
- 1 medium cauliflower head
- Lemon juice
- 40mls butter
- 40mls flour
- 400mls milk
- Salt and pepper
- 5mls prepared mustard
- 100mls grated cheddar cheese
- 2 egg whites, stiffly whisked
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Break cauliflower into florets, removing any really thick stalks. Sprinkle with lemon juice and poach in slightly salted water until soft. Do not overcook. Drain well then place in buttered pie dish – the florets should cover the base snugly.
- Melt butter an stir in flour. Stir for one minute then remove saucepan from heat and add milk. Return to stove and stir until thick. Remove from stove and add salt, pepper, mustard and cheese. Cool.
- When ready to serve, fold egg whites into cheese sauce and spoon over cauliflower. Sprinkle with parmesan and paprika and bake at 200 degrees C for 12 minutes until puffy and golden.